This tutorial will show you how to create retro comic book photo effect in Photoshop to either to create your own cool comic book with photos or give a single picture a nice retro effect.
01. Open a picture you’d wish to give the retro comic book effect and open it in Photoshop.
02. Now go to Filter > (Filter Gallery in CS6) > Artistic > Film Grain. There add a small grainy toutch to your picture. Press Ok.
03. Duplicate the grainy layer by right clickin on it and choosing Duplicate layer. Add the duplicate a Halftone effect by going to Filter > Pixelate > Color Halftone. There set the max radius to minimum of 4, leave the other values as they are and press Ok. Now all of the picture turned into dots.
04. Set the dotty layer’s blend mode to Darken to reduce the dot intensity.
05. To give that comic book feeling to it, lets add some more additions. First of all, a stroke. Go to Layer > Layer Style > Stroke and add an inside smaller black stroke around the picture. Press Ok.
06. To add the speech bubbles, just take the custom shape tool and create the bubble in white color. Add the stroke and then write the text inside.
07. Like this you can create a whole comic set with your own pictures.
How to Create Retro Comic Book Photo Effect in Photoshop