This tutorial will show you how to create a nice and cool background using text and layer styles.
01. Create a new document and then a new layer at Layer > New > Layer. Fill it with any color.
02. Now go to Layer > Layer Style > Gradient Overlay. There set the gradient from Lighter gray to darker, Style to Radial and raise the Scale. Then press Ok.
03. Now go to Filter > Noise > Add Noise and add a very small amount of noise. Press Ok.
04. Create a new layer (Layer > New > Layer), take the gradient tool, set the gradient color from the upper menu from dark gray to transparent. Then drag the gradient on your background so that the lower part goes darker.
05. Now fill the area with any text of your liking. Set the text color to darker gray.
06. Now go to Layer > Layer Style > Drop Shadow and add a very small white shadow on the text. Also adjust the opacity, angle and distance. Press Ok.
07. Now you know how to create a cool text background in Photoshop.